It is difficult to answer this question particularly in ambiguous situation when it is difficult to distinguish between legal or illegal, true or false, appropriate or inappropriate. Below are some unclear circumstances:
- Gift and entertainment: According to laws in many countries, the gift or entertainment making influence to the economic decision would be a sign of corruption.
- Facilitation payments/informal fees: “Lubrication payments” so called as informal fees are illegal in many countries while are legal in some other countries. It depends on situation, for example: If you pay additional fee to be served more promptly, more comfortably, such fee is legal. But if you secretly pay more to the doctor for a better service than others (be served more quickly, more comfortably), the payment would be an act of bribery.
- Conflict of interest: MNCs are cautious in their use of kinship relationship while SMEs rely on marriage relationship or kinship to deal with company’s works. Conflict happens when SMEs participate in supply chain and collaborate with big companies who comply with business integrity and prevent corruption risks.
The conclusion is made to clarify signs of corruption in business via answering two questions as follows:
- Would you like to perform the act publicly in front of everyone in the business?
- Are you happy if those acts are informed publicly ?